Croup is a respiratory condition that primarily affects young children. It is characterised by a harsh, barking cough, hoarseness, and difficulty in breathing. Croup is typically caused by a viral infection that leads to inflammation and swelling of the upper airways, particularly the voice box and windpipe.
Homeopathy is a holistic system of medicine that works on the principle of "like cures like." It uses highly diluted substances to stimulate the body's own healing mechanisms. Homeopathic remedies can be effective in addressing anxiety by addressing the underlying causes and promoting overall wellbeing.
Here are seven commonly used homeopathic remedies for croup:
1. Aconitum napellus (Acon.)
A remedy recommended for the early stages of croup, especially when symptoms appear suddenly after exposure to cold, dry winds. The child may have a high fever, anxiety and a dry, barking cough. Read more...
2. Spongia tosta (Spong.)
Suitable for croup with a dry, barking cough that sounds like a saw being drawn through wood. The cough may be worse at night and accompanied by difficulty in breathing.
3. Hepar sulphuris calcareum (Hep.)
Indicated for croup with a hoarse, barking cough that worsens with exposure to cold air. The child may be highly sensitive to touch and may experience a rattling or loose cough. Read more...
4. Sambucus nigra (Samb.)
Recommended for croup with a suffocating sensation and difficulty in breathing, particularly at night. The child may wake up suddenly gasping for air.
5. Kali bichromicum (Kali-bi.)
Suitable for croup with a harsh, barking cough and tough, stringy mucus that is difficult to expectorate. The child may also experience a sensation of a lump in the throat. Read more...
6. Ipecacuanha (Ipec.)
Ths is indicated for croup with a cough that is suffocative and accompanied by persistent nausea or vomiting. The child may have difficulty in breathing and may be pale. Read more...
7. Phosphorus (Phos.)
Recommended for croup with a hoarse, croupy cough that is accompanied by a sensation of tightness in the chest. The child may be fearful and seek comfort and reassurance. Read more...
Natural ways to help croup heal:
1. Humidification: Use a cool mist humidifier or sit the child in a steam-filled bathroom to help moisten the air and alleviate respiratory symptoms.
2. Fluid intake: Ensure that the child stays hydrated by encouraging frequent sips of water or clear fluids to help thin mucus secretions.
3. Rest and comfort: Provide a calm and soothing environment for the child to rest and recover. Use pillows to elevate the head and upper body, which can ease breathing.
4. Warm liquids: Offer warm herbal teas or broths to soothe the throat and provide comfort.
5. Avoid irritants: Keep the child away from smoke, strong odors and other respiratory irritants that can aggravate symptoms.
6. Stay with the child: Monitor the child closely, especially during episodes of coughing or difficulty in breathing, and seek medical attention if symptoms worsen.
7. Seek medical advice: Consult a healthcare professional for a proper diagnosis and guidance on managing croup, especially if the child's condition does not improve or if breathing difficulties persist.
It is important to remember that while homeopathic remedies and natural approaches can provide symptomatic relief, medical attention should be sought for severe or persistent cases of croup. A healthcare professional can offer appropriate treatment options and ensure the child's well-being.
If you need help why not contact us to arrange to speak to one of our homeopaths or complete the form below. We offer both in-person clinic appointments in Stroud or online consultations anywhere in the world.
More time to talk to a health professional
When you see a homeopath you are given the time to talk about all the symptoms you are experiencing. The first appointment usually lasts 90mins, with follow-up appointments lasting 45mins. Questions about your lifestyle, eating habits and preferences, temperament, personality, sleep patterns and medical history help the homeopath to form a complete picture of your health.
Call now to book an appointment at the Clinic.
01453 766 556
This clinic creates a beacon for homeopathy in Stroud; it brings homeopaths together; it acts as an international teaching facility for the School and it offers patients the highest quality of homeopathic treatment and care.
Mani Norland, Principal