Bruises, also known as contusions are injuries to the skin and underlying tissues that result from direct impact or trauma. They occur when small blood vessels near the skin's surface break, causing blood to leak into the surrounding tissues. Bruises typically appear as discolored patches on the skin, ranging from blue or purple to green or yellow, and may be accompanied by tenderness or swelling.
Homeopathy is a holistic system of medicine that works on the principle of "like cures like." It uses highly diluted substances to stimulate the body's own healing mechanisms. Homeopathic remedies can be effective in addressing anxiety by addressing the underlying causes and promoting overall wellbeing.
Here are seven commonly used homeopathic remedies for bruises:
The primary remedy for bruises and trauma. It helps reduce pain, swelling and discoloration associated with bruises. Arnica can be used both topically and orally to promote the healing process. Read more...
This is beneficial for bruises resulting from puncture wounds, insect bites or injuries caused by sharp objects. It can help reduce swelling and discoloration. Ledum is particularly indicated when the bruised area feels cold to the touch. Read more...
Recommended for bruises accompanied by venous congestion or a feeling of heaviness. It helps relieve pain, bruising and swelling. Hamamelis is often used when bruises are caused by varicose veins or injuries involving venous blood vessels. Read more...
4. Bellis perennis
This is useful for deep bruises or those affecting the muscles, especially after surgery or childbirth. It aids in reducing soreness and bruising and in peeding up the healing process. Read more...
A remedy indicated for bruises involving nerve-rich areas or injuries to the fingertips, toes or spine. It helps relieve shooting or intense pain associated with nerve injury or bruising. Hypericum can be used orally or applied topically as a cream or ointment. Read more...
6. Ruta graveolens
Recommended for bruises that involve sprains, strains, or injuries to tendons or ligaments. It helps reduce swelling, pain and stiffness in the affected area. Read more...
Also known as Comfrey, this is beneficial for promoting the healing of fractures, deep bruises or injuries to bones. It helps in repairing damaged tissues, reducing pain and accelerating the healing process. Read more...
Natural ways to help bruises heal:
1. Cold compress: Applying a cold compress, such as an ice pack wrapped in a cloth, to the bruised area can help reduce swelling, inflammation and pain. Apply it for 10-15 minutes at a time, several times a day.
2. Rest and elevation: Resting the bruised area and elevating it above heart level can aid in reducing swelling and promote healing.
3. Compression: Applying gentle compression using an elastic bandage or compression wrap can help minimize swelling and provide support to the bruised area.
4. Arnica gel or cream: Topical application of Arnica gel or cream can help alleviate pain, reduce inflammation, and promote the healing of bruises. Follow the instructions on the product label.
5. Bromelain: An enzyme found in pineapple, Bromelain has anti-inflammatory properties and may help reduce bruising. Consuming fresh pineapple or taking bromelain supplements as directed can aid in the healing process.
6. Healthy diet: Eating a well-balanced diet rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants can support the body's natural healing processes. Include foods like citrus fruits, leafy greens, berries, and lean proteins in your diet.
7. Avoid blood-thinning medications: If possible, avoid taking blood-thinning medications, such as aspirin or ibuprofen, as they can increase bleeding and prolong the healing time of bruises.
It's important to consult with a qualified homeopathic practitioner for a proper evaluation and an individualised treatment plan. They can provide personalised guidance based on your specific symptoms and needs.
If you need help why not contact us to arrange to speak to one of our homeopaths or complete the form below. We offer both in-person clinic appointments in Stroud or online consultations anywhere in the world.
More time to talk to a health professional
When you see a homeopath you are given the time to talk about all the symptoms you are experiencing. The first appointment usually lasts 90mins, with follow-up appointments lasting 45mins. Questions about your lifestyle, eating habits and preferences, temperament, personality, sleep patterns and medical history help the homeopath to form a complete picture of your health.
Call now to book an appointment at the Clinic.
01453 766 556
This clinic creates a beacon for homeopathy in Stroud; it brings homeopaths together; it acts as an international teaching facility for the School and it offers patients the highest quality of homeopathic treatment and care.
Mani Norland, Principal