Feeling nervous refers to experiencing a state of heightened anxiety, apprehension or unease. It is a common human emotion that can be triggered by various situations or circumstances. When someone feels nervous they may experience physical sensations such as increased heart rate, sweating, trembling, dry mouth or a knot in the stomach. Emotionally, nervousness can manifest as a sense of restlessness, worry or a feeling of being on edge. It is often associated with a sense of anticipation or uncertainty about an upcoming event, performance or unfamiliar situation. While mild nervousness can be a normal response to certain situations, excessive or chronic nervousness may interfere with daily functioning and wellbeing. Managing nervousness involves techniques such as relaxation exercises, mindfulness, positive self-talk and seeking support from others.
Homeopathy is a holistic system of medicine that works on the principle of "like cures like." It uses highly diluted substances to stimulate the body's own healing mechanisms. Homeopathic remedies can be effective in addressing anxiety by addressing the underlying causes and promoting overall wellbeing.
Here are seven commonly used homeopathic remedies for nerves:
1. Aconitum napellus (Acon.)
Indicated for individuals who experience sudden and intense nervousness or anxiety, often accompanied by a fear of impending danger. They may feel restless, have a rapid heartbeat and may experience panic attacks. This remedy is commonly used for anxiety or nervousness that arises after a sudden shock or fright. Read more...
2. Argentum nitricum (Arg. nit.)
Suitable for individuals who have anticipatory anxiety and nervousness, particularly before important events, such as exams or public speaking. They may experience digestive issues like nausea or diarrhoea due to anxiety. This remedy is also known for its use in managing stage fright and performance anxiety.
3. Gelsemium (Gels.)
Recommended for individuals who experience weakness, trembling and nervousness before exams, interviews or public speaking engagements. They may feel heavy and tired and may have a desire to be alone. Gelsemium is commonly used for anticipatory anxiety and performance-related nervousness. Read more...
4. Ignatia amara (Ign.)
Useful for individuals who are highly sensitive and prone to emotional ups and downs. They may experience nervousness, mood swings and have difficulty expressing their emotions. A remedy commonly used for grief, emotional trauma or situations that involve intense emotional responses. Read more...
5. Kali phosphoricum (Kali. phos.)
This is indicated for individuals who feel mentally and physically exhausted due to prolonged stress, nervousness or overwork. They may have difficulty concentrating, experience memory lapses and may feel irritable or anxious. A remedy commonly used for mental and physical fatigue associated with nervousness or stress.
6. Lycopodium (Lyc.)
Recommended for individuals who have nervousness accompanied by a lack of self-confidence. They may fear failure, have a fear of public speaking and may experience digestive issues such as bloating or gas. This remedy is commonly used for performance anxiety, low self-esteem and confidence issues. Read more...
7. Silicea (Sil.)
Useful for individuals who are shy, introverted and easily overwhelmed by social situations. They may have a fear of public speaking, lack self-confidence and feel chilly. A remedy commonly used for anxiety related to social interactions, stage fright and low self-esteem. Read more...
Other natural ways to help heal nerves:
1. Stress management: Practice stress-reducing techniques such as deep breathing exercises, meditation or mindfulness to promote relaxation and calmness.
2. Regular exercise: Engage in regular physical activity, such as walking, yoga, or swimming, to help reduce anxiety, improve mood and enhance overall well-being.
3. Adequate sleep: Prioritize getting sufficient sleep to allow the body and mind to rest and rejuvenate. Establish a consistent sleep routine and create a relaxing sleep environment.
4. Healthy diet: Maintain a balanced diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins and omega-3 fatty acids. Proper nutrition can support optimal brain function and help manage stress.
5. Herbal remedies: Consider natural herbal remedies known for their calming properties, such as chamomile, lavender or lemon balm as teas or supplements. Consult a healthcare professional before using any herbal remedies.
6. Support system: Seek support from loved ones, friends or support groups to share your concerns and feelings. Talking about your worries can provide relief and perspective.
7. Time for relaxation and hobbies: Engage in activities you enjoy, such as reading, listening to music, hobbies or spending time in nature. These activities can help reduce stress and promote relaxation.
It's important to note that while homeopathic remedies and natural approaches can provide support for nerves, individualised treatment and professional guidance may be necessary for severe or chronic conditions. Consulting a qualified homeopath or healthcare professional is recommended for a personalised approach to managing nervousness or anxiety.
If you need help why not contact us to arrange to speak to one of our homeopaths or complete the form below. We offer both in-person clinic appointments in Stroud or online consultations anywhere in the world.
More time to talk to a health professional
When you see a homeopath you are given the time to talk about all the symptoms you are experiencing. The first appointment usually lasts 90mins, with follow-up appointments lasting 45mins. Questions about your lifestyle, eating habits and preferences, temperament, personality, sleep patterns and medical history help the homeopath to form a complete picture of your health.
Call now to book an appointment at the Clinic.
01453 766 556
This clinic creates a beacon for homeopathy in Stroud; it brings homeopaths together; it acts as an international teaching facility for the School and it offers patients the highest quality of homeopathic treatment and care.
Mani Norland, Principal