Travel sickness, also known as motion sickness, refers to the feeling of nausea, dizziness and discomfort experienced when traveling in a moving vehicle, such as a car, plane or boat. It occurs when there is a conflict between the visual signals received by the eyes and the balance signals from the inner ear. Homeopathic remedies can be used to alleviate the symptoms of travel sickness effectively.
Homeopathy is a holistic system of medicine that works on the principle of "like cures like." It uses highly diluted substances to stimulate the body's own healing mechanisms. Homeopathic remedies can be effective in addressing anxiety by addressing the underlying causes and promoting overall wellbeing.
Here are seven commonly used homeopathic remedies for travel sickenss:
1. Cocculus indicus (Cocc.)
This is one of the primary remedies for travel sickness, especially when there is severe nausea, dizziness and weakness. Symptoms may worsen with the slightest motion and improve with rest.
2. Nux vomica (Nux vom.)
Beneficial when travel sickness is associated with digestive disturbances, such as indigestion, heartburn and a feeling of nausea. The person may feel irritable and sensitive to odours and noise. Read more...
3. Tabacum (Tab.)
Indicated for extreme nausea and vomiting during travel. The person may have a pale face, cold sweat and a sensation of sinking in the stomach. Fresh air and cold applications may provide relief.
4. Petroleum (Pet.)
Useful for travel sickness with intense nausea, dizziness and a tendency to vomit. The person may feel better when closing the eyes and may experience relief when eating or drinking.
5. Ipecacuanha (Ip.)
Recommended when there is persistent nausea with a constant inclination to vomit, even though vomiting does not occur. The person may feel weak and exhausted. Read more...
6. Bryonia alba (Bry.)
A remedy indicated for travel sickness with a feeling of nausea and discomfort worsened by the slightest motion. The person may prefer to remain still and may have a dry mouth and intense thirst. Read more...
7. Sepia officinalis (Sep.)
Suitable for travel sickness with a sensation of weakness, faintness and emptiness in the stomach. The person may feel better in the open air and worse in stuffy environments.
In addition to homeopathic remedies, there are natural ways to help alleviate travel sickness:
1. Choose a comfortable position: Sit in a position that provides the most comfort and stability, such as facing forward and focusing on the horizon.
2. Avoid reading or using electronic devices: Avoid activities that require focusing on close-up objects, as this can contribute to the conflict between visual and balance signals.
3. Fresh air and ventilation: Open windows or use air vents to ensure proper airflow and reduce stuffiness.
4. Ginger: Ginger is a natural remedy known for its anti-nausea properties. Consider consuming ginger tea, ginger candies or ginger capsules before and during travel.
5. Acupressure bands: These bands apply pressure to specific points on the wrists, known as the P6 points, which can help alleviate nausea and vomiting.
6. Relaxation techniques: Practice deep breathing, meditation, or other relaxation techniques to help reduce anxiety and promote a sense of calm during travel.
7. Adequate hydration and light snacks: Stay hydrated by drinking water and consume light, non-greasy snacks to maintain stable blood sugar levels.
It's important to plan and prepare for travel sickness, especially if you are prone to experiencing it. Experimenting with different homeopathic remedies and natural methods can help identify the most effective approaches for your individual needs. If symptoms persist or worsen, it is advisable to consult a qualified homeopath or healthcare professional for further guidance.
If you need help why not contact us to arrange to speak to one of our homeopaths or complete the form below. We offer both in-person clinic appointments in Stroud or online consultations anywhere in the world.
More time to talk to a health professional
When you see a homeopath you are given the time to talk about all the symptoms you are experiencing. The first appointment usually lasts 90mins, with follow-up appointments lasting 45mins. Questions about your lifestyle, eating habits and preferences, temperament, personality, sleep patterns and medical history help the homeopath to form a complete picture of your health.
Call now to book an appointment at the Clinic.
01453 766 556
This clinic creates a beacon for homeopathy in Stroud; it brings homeopaths together; it acts as an international teaching facility for the School and it offers patients the highest quality of homeopathic treatment and care.
Mani Norland, Principal